A lawn sweeper is a piece of equipment that’s pushed or pulled across a lawn to pick up debris such as leaves or grass clippings. The sweeper uses a simple brush mechanism that collects the debris and stores it in a hopper. Lawn sweepers are ideal for people who are looking for a fast and efficient alternative to raking their lawn. They are available in a wide range of models and sizes, so you’re sure to find a sweeper that suits your needs.
Our gardening expert reviewed dozens of lawn sweepers to find the best of the best, based on factors such as design, brush width, hopper volume, adjustability, durability, and customer feedback. After careful consideration, the Agri-Fab 45-0492 Lawn Sweeper was selected as our expert’s top pick thanks to its sturdiness, adjustability, and easy-to-use design.
Our Expert’s Top 5 Lawn Sweepers
Here are the top picks from our gardening expert. Compare the ratings and features of different models.
|Editor’s Picks||Brand||Rating||Weight||Brush Width||Adjustable Brush Height||Semi-Pneumatic Wheels|
|Best Overall||Agri-Fab 45-0492 Lawn Sweeper||95 lbs||44″|
|Best Budget Buy||Earthwise LSW70021 21-Inch Leaf & Grass Push Lawn Sweeper||13 lbs||21″|
|Best Push Lawn Sweeper||Agri-Fab 45-0218 26-Inch Push Lawn Sweeper||25 lbs||26″|
|Best Tow Lawn Sweeper||Agri-Fab 45-0320 42-Inch Tow Lawn Sweeper||73 lbs||42″|
|Best Wide Lawn Sweeper||Craftsman CMXGZBF7124546 52-Inch Tow Lawn Sweeper||54 lbs||52″|
*Ratings are on a scale of 1 to 5 and based on reviews, feedback, and opinions of actual customers
In This Article
Who Should Buy a Lawn Sweeper
- People with spacious lawns – Lawn sweepers are ideal for people with spacious lawns, as they allow you to collect debris efficiently over large areas.1
- People with mobility issues – If bending down to rake your lawn is difficult, consider investing in a lawn sweeper to help get the job done.2
- Homeowners who can’t use leaf blowers – Leaf blowers are noisy, so if you have close neighbors who might get annoyed or local ordinances prohibiting the use of leaf blowers, a lawn sweeper is the ideal alternative.3
- Anyone who wants to save time and effort – Lawn sweepers are designed to make short work of tidying up and maintaining your lawn.4
Who Should Not Buy a Lawn Sweeper
- People with small lawns – If you have a small lawn, a traditional rake will be sufficient for keeping it tidy.
- People who aren’t in a hurry – Lawn sweepers are time-saving pieces of equipment, so if you’re not in a hurry you may prefer to use a rake.
Research Tips from an Expert
Investing in a lawn sweeper is a great idea for any keen gardener who wants to save time and effort. As a gardening expert, I often get asked how to choose the best lawn sweeper. Here are some tips and best practices to consider when choosing a sweeper that will suit your needs. Be sure to do adequate research on the product you are considering purchasing to look for quality and key features. It’s also worth asking other gardeners you know if they can recommend any particular lawn sweepers.
- Weight – You’ll most likely be using your lawn sweeper for quite some time as you work, so make sure it’s a manageable weight.
- Brush width – Choose a sweeper with a brush width that’s right for your lawn. The wider the brush width, the more lawn debris the sweeper can deal with.
- Adjustable brush height – This feature allows you to adjust the height of the brush to suit your lawn.
- Adjustable hitch – If you’re considering buying a tow lawn sweeper, make sure to select one with a hitch that can be adjusted to the height of your vehicle.
- Hopper capacity – If you have a spacious lawn, it’s worth investing in a sweeper with a large hopper that won’t need to be constantly unloaded.
How Much Do They Cost?
Between $150 and $400
For most lawn sweepers, you can expect to pay between $150 and $400 depending on factors such as the model, features, and performance. At the lower end of this price range, you’ll get a basic push lawn sweeper that’s suitable for smaller lawns. You’ll pay a little more for tow lawn sweepers and more advanced features such as a wide brush width, large-capacity hopper, and semi-pneumatic wheels.
Our Methodology: Why Trust Home Life Daily
As an expert familiar with gardening equipment like lawn sweepers, I know just how important it is to select the right product for the job. The choices listed were selected based on factors such as their features, build quality, reliability, and performance. You want a lawn sweeper that will stand up to regular use and save you time and effort, and I’m confident these models will fulfill your needs!
The Best Lawn Sweepers: Full Reviews
The Agri-Fab 45-0492 Lawn Sweeper is a sturdy and reliable tow lawn sweeper that will keep your lawn clean and free from debris. Key features include an adjustable 44-inch brush, height adjustment lever with easy-to-use indicator, semi-pneumatic wheels, and a large 25 cu. ft. hopper.
The capable lawn sweeper is ideal for cleaning up grass clippings, leaves, small twigs, and other debris. It’s easy to assemble and use, and comes complete with an adjustable hitch that can be matched to the height of your vehicle. The sweeper also collapses down to 30% of its original size, for easy and convenient storage.
- Large brush width
- Adjustable brush height
- Semi-pneumatic wheels
- Universal hitch
- Some assembly required
- Difficult to reach the dump handle when in use
If you have a smaller lawn you’d like to keep clean and tidy, check out the affordable Earthwise LSW70021 21-Inch Leaf & Grass Push Lawn Sweeper. The compact and lightweight push lawn sweeper features a 21-inch brush, adjustable leaf sweeper, and 2.6-bushel leaf collection bag.
At just 13 pounds, this lawn sweeper is easy to operate and maneuver. It’s also easy to assemble, and light enough to be hung up when not in use. Reviewers say the lawn sweeper performs well and is easy to use. Overall, this product is a budget-friendly option that will save you time and effort.
- Lightweight and compact
- Adjustable leaf sweeper
- Easy to assemble
- Not suitable for large lawns
- Not ideal for collecting rocks, nuts, pinecones, or wet debris
If you’re looking for a push lawn sweeper that’s large enough to tackle most good-sized lawns, the Agri-Fab 45-0218 26-Inch Push Lawn Sweeper is an excellent option. It features four brushes that sweep debris into a hopper bag, which is capable of holding 7 cu. ft. The brush width on this model is 26 inches, and the brush can be adjusted to suit your lawn.
Other standout features of this reliable lawn sweeper include a collapsible hopper bag and large poly tires for smooth transport on your lawn. The sweeper is lightweight, easy to handle, and perfect for cleaning up leaves, grass clippings, and small twigs.
- Durable and lightweight poly construction
- Easy-to-use brush height adjustment
- Collapsible hopper bag
- No dump lever
- A little difficult to assemble
The Agri-Fab 45-0320 42-Inch Tow Lawn Sweeper is a large tow lawn sweeper with a 42-inch brush width and an extra-large, 12 cu. ft. capacity hopper. This model is ideal for people with larger lawns, and will make short work of collecting grass, leaves, and small twigs.
The tow lawn sweeper comes complete with semi-pneumatic wheels that are suitable for various terrains. It also features an adjustable brush height, universal hitch, and handy dumping rope.
- Large 42-inch brush width
- Extra-large hopper
- Semi-pneumatic wheels
- Some assembly required
- Confusing instructions
If you have a spacious lawn you want to keep in shape, look no further than the Craftsman CMXGZBF7124546 52-Inch Tow Lawn Sweeper. It features an extra wide 52-inch brush and extra-large 26 cu. ft. hopper that are designed to collect and store large amounts of lawn debris.
The durable lawn sweeper is easy to empty and the brush can be adjusted to suit your lawn. It also features a universal hitch and a flow through hopper bag that fills more efficiently and effectively. Most reviewers say this lawn sweeper performs well and saves time and effort.
- Extra wide 52-inch brush width
- Extra-large 26 cu. ft. hopper
- Adjustable brush height
- More expensive than other models
- Difficult for one person to assemble
Frequently Asked Questions
Are lawn sweepers worth it?
Which is better a lawn sweeper or a bagger?
What will a lawn sweeper pick up?
When should you use a lawn sweeper?
Home Life Daily uses only high-quality sources, including peer-reviewed studies, to support the facts within our articles. Read our editorial process to learn more about how we fact-check and keep our content accurate, reliable, and trustworthy.
- Brinly. 12 Reasons Why You Need a Leaf Sweeper This Fall. Published August 23, 2019. Accessed October 6, 2021.
- Cleveland Clinic. The Right Way to Rake All Those Leaves in Your Yard (Without Hurting Your Back). Clevelandclinic.org. Published November 13, 2018. Accessed October 6, 2021.
- D& L Supply and Rental. When to Use a Lawn Sweeper and Why. Accessed October 6, 2021.
- Lougee M. How to Pick Up Grass Clippings and Leaves with a Lawn Sweeper. Sfgate.com. Accessed October 6, 2021.