When selecting the best gas hedge trimmer to get the job done, there are many considerations. The weight of the unit, the length of the blade, and the diameter of the branches it can cut through are all important considerations.
After surveying the current products on the market, our expert selected these gas hedge trimmers as the best options available. At the top of the list is the ECHO HC-2020 which stands out for its perfect combination of power, light weight, low noise, and manageable blade size.
Our Expert’s Top 5 Gas Hedge Trimmers
Here are the top picks from our expert. Compare the ratings and features of different models.
|Editor’s Picks||Brand||Rating||Weight||Blade Size||Engine||Cuts Branch Diameters Up To…|
|Best Overall||ECHO HC-2020||13.92 lbs||20″||21.2cc||1″|
|Best Budget Buy||EASYG Gas Hedge Trimmer||12.6 lbs||24″||23.6cc||1″|
|Best For Low Noise||Husqvarna 22HD45||10.36 lbs||18″||21.7cc||⅘”|
|Best For Power||XtremepowerUS 81066||16 lbs||24″||26cc||1″|
|Best For Comfortable Use||Poulan Pro PR2322||11.1 lbs||22″||23cc||1″|
*Ratings are on a scale of 1 to 5 and based on reviews, feedback, and opinions of actual customers
In This Article
Who Should Buy a Gas Hedge Trimmer
- People with large properties – Gas hedge trimmers are more suitable for larger amounts of work.1
- People with big hedges – Big hedges require the power that gas hedge trimmers bring to the table as branch diameters will be thicker.
- Those who want to save time – Gas hedge trimmers are more powerful, so they’re going to get the job done more quickly than electric hedge trimmers.2
Who Should Not Buy a Gas Hedge Trimmer
- People with few or small hedges – If you have very few or small/young hedges, electric hedge trimmers might be good enough.
- People who aren’t in a hurry – Electric hedge trimmers will need recharging, so if you can wait, then this may be an option.
Research Tips from an Expert
Investing in tools like gas hedge trimmers is a great idea as they will allow you to take the care of your property into your own hands, literally. As an expert in the field, I’m often asked about what goes into choosing the best gas hedge trimmers for the job and the truth is the considerations vary from person to person. Consider the following when you’re choosing your gas hedge trimmers.
- Weight – You’ll be holding onto this machine for quite some time as you work. Ensure it is not too heavy for you. And keep in mind that weights are always listed without fuel.
- Cutting diameter – Different gas hedge trimmers will be able to cut through different thicknesses. If you have old-growth hedges, keep this in mind.
- Blade size – The longer the blade, the more suited it is for thicker branches and older hedges.
- Are you left handed? – You might find it easier to operate double-sided blades if you are!
How Much Do They Cost?
Between $140 and $400
When it comes to gas hedge trimmers, you can expect to pay anywhere between $140-$400 depending on what features and level of performance you’re seeking. More well-established brands and domestically manufactured gas hedge trimmers are going to generally fetch a higher price tag. They often come with better warranties as well, and customers find the longevity of the units to be a bit better. However, there are many affordable options on the market now that offer only small adjustments in performance and quality but deliver customer satisfaction just the same.
Our Methodology: Why Trust Home Life Daily
As an expert familiar with power tools like gas hedge trimmers, I’m well aware of the need to select the right product for the job. The choices listed here were chosen because of the functionality, performance, and quality they deliver. Reliability was determined by considering manufacturer claims and cross-referencing them with the real world experiences of customers across the country. You want gas hedge trimmers that you’ll be happy to pick up and use, and I’m sure that I’ve lined up some great options for you to consider.
The Best Gas Hedge Trimmers: Full Reviews
The ECHO HC-2020 will allow you to trim your hedges like a pro. With its lightweight build and 20″ blade, you’ll be able to cut through branches up to an inch in diameter.
This unit is so dependable that it comes with a 5 year warranty on everything except the ignition system, which Echo covers for life.
- Professional-grade features and dependability
- Excellent warranty
- Blade may be too short for some jobs
- Price point is a bit high
The affordable EASYG Gas Hedge Trimmer is great for people who want the power of gas on the budget of electric. Easy to use and maintain, it won’t take an advanced degree in hedge trimming to operate this machine.
It’s designed with shock absorption to help when cutting through branches up to an inch in diameter. The 24 inch blade is sure to see you carving out those hedges into fine works of art.
- Powerful engine for price point
- Assembly required
- Confusing instructions
The Husqvarna 122HD45 will deliver great performance but do so quietly, reducing noise pollution. Your neighbors and family members will all thank you for that.
It is super lightweight at only 10.3 lbs and designed with LowVib anti-vibration technology to reduce stress and strain on your arms, shoulders, and back. It features a stainless steel, dual-action blade that cuts in either direction, which allows you to work more efficiently.
- Quieter than most in its class
- Very lightweight
- Easy to follow directions
- Max. diameter of branches < 1″
- 18″ blade is a bit short
If you’re looking for more power you’ve found it with the XtremepowerUS 81066 and its 26cc commercial grade 2-cycle engine. It delivers maximum reliability and durability to get your hedge trimming jobs done with ease.
- Large blade for big jobs
- Dual-action blade
- Must warm up when cold
The Poulan Pro PR2322 is a favorite of many hedge owners because of its ease of use and comfort. The rotating handle with comfort grip and advanced anti-vibration technology results in reduced fatigue and maximum cutting control. And being only 11.1 lbs it won’t cause strain from the weight.
The 22″ stainless steel blades cut branches up to 1″ in diameter. And you can be sure that it will get the job done with a 23cc 2-cycle gas engine powering things.
- Easy to grip and maneuver
- Some plastic parts instead of steel
- Can be tricky to start
Frequently Asked Questions
Which is better, a gas or electric hedge trimmer?
Are hedge trimmers worth it?
What is the best hedge trimmer for home use?
What is the longest hedge trimmer?
Home Life Daily uses only high-quality sources, including peer-reviewed studies, to support the facts within our articles. Read our editorial process to learn more about how we fact-check and keep our content accurate, reliable, and trustworthy.
- Hicks K. How to Buy a Hedge Trimmer. Compactappliance.com. Published April 17, 2017. Accessed October 6, 2021.
- The Home Depot. Best Hedge Trimmers For Your Shrubs. Homedepot.com. Accessed October 6, 2021.